WHAT IS THE FINANCIAL INTELLIGENCE AGENCY?
The Financial Intelligence Agency (FIA) is statutorily mandated to act as a central Agency responsible for requesting, receiving, analysing and disseminating to an investigatory authority, supervisory authority or comparable body, disclosures of financial information, concerning suspicious transactions, required by or under any enactment in order to counter financial offenses; or concerning the financing of any activities or transactions related to money laundering, terrorism and the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction in order to protect the integrity and stability of the financial system at national and international level.
The Financial Intelligence Agency as a central Agency, receives financial information from specified parties, supervisory and accountable institution to analyses such information and where there is a suspicion of money laundering, terrorist financing or the financing of proliferation of weapons of mass destruction offence, it disseminates the disclosure of information to law enforcement agencies and supervisory authorities, for investigation and possible prosecution.
It is also mandated to coordinate Anti-Money Laundering and Combating the Financing of Terrorism (AML/CFT) activities in the Country. The Unit is also going to assist in informing policy direction by conducting research on trends of money laundering and terrorist financing and educate and inform the public about trends in money laundering and related crimes.
The FIU further exchanges and shares information with its foreign counter parts and undertakes typology studies on money laundering and terrorist financing techniques.
It is also mandated to coordinate Anti-Money Laundering, Combating the Financing of Terrorism and counter the financing of proliferations of weapons of mass destruction (AML/CFT/CPF) activities in the Country. The FIA informs policy direction by conducting research on trends of money laundering, terrorist financing the financing of proliferation of and educate and inform the public about trends in money laundering and related crimes.
Financial Intelligence Acts:
Attach in PDF:
- Financial Intelligence Act No. 2 of 2022
- Financial intelligence Regulations 2022
- Financial Intelligence (Implementation of United nations Security council Resolutions) regulations
- Financial Intelligence Act (PDF) 2009
- Financial Intelligence Regulation 2013
- The Financial Intelligence (Amendment) Act 2018
- The Financial Intelligence (Amendment) Regulations, 2018
- COUNTER-TERRORISM (IMPLEMENTATION OF UNITED NATIONS SECURITY COUNCIL RESOLUTIONS) REGULATIONS, 2020
- Proceeds and Instrument of Crime Act
- Counter Terrorism Act
- Botswana’s Mutual Evaluation Report-2007
- Botswana’s Mutual Evaluation Report-2017
- Following the money of the illegal wildlife trade to stop the trade in endangered species and the laundering of profits
- How can private sector help stop money laundering from illegal wildlife trade?
- Trusts Risk Assessment sanitised
- NPO Risk Assessment Report sanitised
- Legal Persons Risk Assessment sanitised
- Counter Proliferation Financing Guidance Note 12 09 2020
- Goaml Registration Guidance Note
- STR Report Web Guide
- Strategic report on cash and BNI declarations
- Trends Report 5 years Dec 18 2020
- Notice on the List of High Risk Countries by the Financial Action Task Force (FATF)
- Media Advisory - Virtual Assets and Illegal Investment Scams
- FATF Public Statement on the Financing of ISIL, Al Qaeda and
- Notice of High Risk Countries Listed by Financial Action Task
- TF Guidance Note with STR Form
- Guidance notes for attorneys
- Guidance notes for detection of Covid 19 related fraud
- Trends Report January to December 2021
- Notice of High Risk Countries
- Guidance Note on Reporting of Suspicious Transactions
- Guidance Note on Customer Due Diligence
- Car Dealership Risk Assessment Report
- Notice of High Risk Countries
FIA Contact Details
For further information on the Financial Intelligence Agency, the National Coordinating Committee on Financial Intelligence (NCCFI), Money Laundering and the combating of the Financing of Terrorism please contact:
Ms. Bopelokgale Soko (Director General)
Financial Intelligence Agency
Private Bag 0190
Tel: +267 3998400
Fax: +267 3931754